Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Captain’s Log – Star Date 07192009
Location – Springfield KOA, Springfield, Illinois
Trip Miles – 3911.4
Report from Engineering – everything is cool!
Weather – Sunny, warm, with scattered puffy clouds; daytime temperature is 77F
Diesel Price -- $2.46 per gallon

The Commodore is being severe with me … she is telling me to start WRITING! Here I sit, enjoying my morning coffee which is at its PEAK of flavor…and…she is brutally telling me to GET TO WORK!

Lincoln…that IS what Springfield is all about…at least as we see it! We toured the two-story house where a prospering Lincoln raised his sons before going to Washington to be President. Not bad for a kid with only eight MONTHS of formal education! We visited the impressive tomb where Abraham Lincoln and the members of his family are buried. We visited a gift shop where Lincoln souvenirs are on display, including tiny replicas of Civil War cannon. We even rubbed Lincoln’s nose – that is, the nose on the large bronze statue in front of his tomb. This ritual is commonly performed for good luck.

Barbara is playing up her Lincoln heritage! Her mom’s maiden name was Lincoln. We are heading toward a family gathering of Lincolns in Michigan. Barbara is so obsessed with her Lincoln heritage that she had me photograph her nose next to Abe’s nose, avowing that she HAS to be a descendant of Abe’s! She insists that her maternal grandfather, Edward Lincoln, looked “just like Abe”! At this point, we don’t know if Barbara’s Lincolns are connected to Abe’s Lincolns. I suspect this connection will be a subject of intense discussion at the Lincoln family reunion. Stay tuned for further information!

Do y’all remember the Rodgers and Hammerstein lyric, “the corn is as high as an elephant’s eye”?
Well…as you can see from our picture below…it is TRUE! I ask myself…how does this adept farmer get every plant to be of exactly the same height?




It’s a wonder!

Affectionately,

Captain Baldy



2 comments:

  1. Hey Barbara, them're some ears y' got there.

    Actually I have a 1946 photo of my dad standing beside corn-stalks that were thirteen feet high, and that was right here in San Diego County.

    Trick was that my dad grew the corn on ol' man Wright's rabbit farm right where rabbit hutches had been located for years. Decomposed rabbit poop about three feet deep seems to be good for corn.

    Side-effect was that it tasted like chicken.

    Go figure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm, I've been watching that photo for several days now and and I notice that the corn hasn't grown a bit. What sort of digital trick are you pulling off Goldilocks?

    ReplyDelete